Wellbeing and Productivity in the Workplace
3equals1 Design attended a fascinating CPD on Wellbeing and Productivity in the Workplace, hosted by Ocee Design. This is a topic close to our hearts and one that’s becoming increasingly prevalent in today’s working environment.
What we learned:
- Presenteeism is the practice of coming to work despite illness, injury, anxiety, etc, often resulting in reduced productivity and it is now a bigger problem in the UK than absenteeism
- Factors that can cause presenteeism in the workplace include: excessive noise, constant distractions/interruptions, lack of daylight, illness, stress/anxiety, and management style
- The average time spent by a UK worker before being interrupted is 12 minutes 40 seconds
- The average time it takes for that worker to reach the same level of concentration they were at is 15 minutes 30 seconds
How can we fix this?
- Asking for feedback and listening to employees’ needs and wants
- Smarter workplace design
- Encouraging regular breaks throughout the day
- Adopting an open-door policy for all management staff
- Offering staff healthcare plans and introducing fitness/nutrition based initiatives
What are the benefits?
- A healthy work/life balance leads to a happier and more productive workforce
- Greater engagement between all levels of an organisation
- Increased job satisfaction and a stronger desire to learn and develop
- Reduced absenteeism and presenteeism
- Reduced staff turnover